Revised 28 January 2007
Back to Home
Dodds Lane is so called because it was the lane leading to Dodds . This was a small land holding just the north west of Mill Lane and north east of Hill Farm Lane. It is now built over by the houses erected in Stratton Chase Drive.
The earliest record is a deed of 1318 (WRO 1332 Box 41 No 5. Also HMC 15th Report Appx VII p127) which refers to the land of Walter Dod at this location. It is therefore very probable that the landholding took its name from this family. Included within this land holding was the house, probably a small tenement called "Doddys Messuage" This land can be seen in a deed of 1509 (WRO 1332 Box 41 No 41. Also HMC 15th Report Appx VII p132) where it is clearly defined and is identical to the Dodds messuage and its fields recorded in the tithe records in 1840. (see illustrations).
It had came into the possession of William Russell, who owned Hill Farm , in 1509 by grant from Richard Restwold who was Lord of the Vache. It should be noted that this Russell family is unrelated to the Russells who are the Dukes of Bedford.
William Russell assigned it to his mother and sister as a source of income but upon their deaths it reverted to William who absorbed it into the lands of Hill Farm where it remained throughout all the following change of ownership until Stratton Chase estate was created.
The Russell family had a legal battle with a Thomas Redinge and a Thomas Butterfield who claimed ownership, but Russell won.
There was a house of some sort on the site of Dodds messuage until at least 1851 as two families of labourers are recorded as living there on the census taken that year. It was shortly thereafter demolished to make way for the gardens and outbuildings of Stratton Chase.
Back to Home
Back to Stratton Chase history