The changes in 1934 were the most dramatic. There used to be a 30 acre detached piece of Chalfont St Giles Parish south of Jordans containing Wheatsheaf Farm and which was surrounded by Chalfont St Peter Parish. In 1934 this was absorbed into Chalfont St Peter. There also used to be a 48 acre detached piece of Chalfont St Peter Parish between Chalfont St Giles and Amersham, running from Harewood Downs to Hill Farm. This was absorbed into Chalfont St Giles. There was a finger of Chalfont St Peter Parish which came up to The Stone and which lay between the London Road and the Misbourne. This was cut off and absorbed into Chalfont St Giles. The northern part of Chalfont St Giles Parish containing the centre of Little Chalfont was removed from Chalfont St Giles and absorbed into Amersham. Finally the southern boundary was moved north to run along the line of Welders Lane rather than along the footpath further south.
During the second half of the 20th century there were a series of evolving smaller changes to take account of housing development as Chalfont St Giles and Chalfont St Peter expanded. For example the boundary near Kings Road was moved east to accommodate the houses being built in that area and the boundary close to Chalfont St Peter village centre was moved north to allow the houses near to Chalfont Saint Peter village to be included within that Parish.
But from a historical perspective we should put these recent changes to one side and concentrate on the boundary as it it had existed since the parishes were first established.
We have to look at both Chalfont St Giles and Chalfont St Peter to draw conclusions. In these maps the boundaries have been superimposed on an 1880 map.
|Click here for a large image of the historical boundaries|
|Click here for a map with the modern boundary of Chalfont St Giles superimposed on the historical boundary.|